April 13, 2006
Present: Shawn, Jerry, Thomas, Brandi, Gabi, Timothy, Gary S, Joel, Chad, Joe
- Last month's minutes read by Gabi
- Motion to approve by Jerry. Seconded by Brandi. Approved by all.
Outfront account 367.28
St. Cloud OUT account 3917.19
Funding/Grants/Fundraising Committee Report:
- Gary received a letter from the Central Minnesota Community Foundation. They are seeking letters of inquiry by April 30 from nonprofits (having a fiscal host as we do also works.) They have money available and are seeking good ways to use it.
- Brandi reported that the public library now has a new database for fundraising and grants.
- Shawn checked out both the Matthew Shepherd Foundation and the Gill Foundation. They are possibilities for funding also.
- The Big Gay Garage Sale was tabled for the next meeting.
- Selling advertising on the web site was also tabled for now.
Film Fest Committee Report:
- Attendance was good. Friday night there were 81 people. Saturday there were 118. Ticket sales looked like this: Friday only 34, Saturday only 71, both nights 47. Ticket sales brought in $1444 dollars.
- The overall profit for the Film Fest was $1924.60
- We are already planning next year (yes it is true!!) We will see if we can reserve March 23rd and 24th at the Pioneer Place again. Someone suggested that the GAB dance be on the Friday night of the Film Fest.
- It would be nice to start making contacts for sponsorships next year of specific things. Someplace could sponsor a film, the ASL interpreters, entertainment, etc. We could start making those contacts at Pride this summer.
- It was suggested that we investigate closed captioned movies instead of having ASL interpreters (although we love our interpreters!).
- The loan we had from the anonymous donor has been turned into a gift of $1500 dollars. We have been asked to "spend it wisely." At this point we are thinking it will go towards operating costs, but are open to suggestions. Please bring your ideas to the May meeting.
Twin Cities Pride Committee
- Pride is June 24 and 25. We have already reserved a booth.
- Staffing: We are asking each organization listed in the resource directory to volunteer to staff the booth for at least one two hour block. We think there should be two people at the booth at the same time. Slots will be filled on a first come first served basis. Please email us via the web site about when you would like to volunteer. (On a personal note it was great to have a place to sit down, rest, and people watch. It was lots of fun!!)
- We will need to print more resource directories.
- Brandi, Joel and Gary S. volunteered to be on this committee.
Resource Committee Report:
- Web site statistics: March was an all time record!!!
- Total visits 2077
- Average per day 67
- Unique visitors for the month 691
- One time visitors 443
- Repeat visitors 248
- We need to renew our domain name and hosting service by June. We can renew for one, two or three years. Decision tabled until May.
Advisory Committee Report:
- The advisory committee met on March 26th to brainstorm ideas about the upcoming Annual Business Meeting in May.
- There is room for someone from the at-large group to join the Advisory Committee.
- The Advisory Committee recommended that we table the 501(c) 3 status indefinitely. The rest of those present at the meeting agreed that we do not see the need to pursue nonprofit status at this time.
- No Old Business
- The May meeting is our annual business meeting.
a. Please review the bylaws, the monetary policy and the mission statement and bring any suggested modifications to the meeting.
b. Nominations for open board position (Secretary) and at large Advisory Committee member.
c. Bylaws and policy documents are available on the About Us page at stcloudout.org
- Time is reserved at the May meeting for a brainstorming session
a. What to bring: a list of ideas for what you would like to see St. Cloud OUT work on over the next year.
b. What NOT to bring: Don't worry about bringing solutions of how or who. We will collect all ideas at the May meeting and these ideas will be discussed at upcoming monthly meetings.
- Location, location, location
Due to the closing of the Meeting Grounds in Sartell, our next meeting will be at the Mississippi Bean in downtown St. Cloud. It is one block east of the Paramount on St. Germain. The meeting will be May 11th at 7:00 pm
- Breaking the Silence at St. Cloud State April 17 - April 20. Please see the link from our website for the full schedule.
- Outfront Just Fair Lobby Day at the Capitol April 27th. Go and make your voice heard!! Check out www.outfront.org for more information.
- Lutherans Concerned April 20. Guest Speaker will be Denny Smith.
- GAB dance Saturday April 22 at the Red Carpet.
- GAB Spring Fling Saturday May 13. There will be a catered dinner, a comedian, and an auction/raffle. The cost is $25. Buy your tickets by April 23 from any GAB board member or contact GAB at or call 656-2528. It will be a great time!!